MONDAY MOVIE MEME
This week Molly and Andy at the Bumbles Blog are asking all about comic book movies, so here's my pick:
- Batman (1966) - I almost went for Batman Returns, but went for the movie spin-off of the '60s TV series instead, just because it's got the most memorable scene in all the Batman movies.
- Superman (1978) - The first blockbuster superhero movie and a great representation of the Man of Steel.
- Akira (1988) - I've not read the manga it's based on, but the film's a terrific visually-stunning bit of animation.
- V For Vendetta (2006) - Not all of it works, but the Valerie segment, which manages to be pretty faithful to the Alan Moore comic book original, certainly does. Also, there's lots of cool classic music explosions.
- Stardust (2007) - Terrific fairy tale movie by the team who later did Kick-Ass, based on Neil Gaiman's novel which started out as a comic book (well, more of a story with pictures) illustrated by Charles Vess.
- Wanted (2007) - High octane popcorn fun which is based on a comic book but with the supervillain element sucked out. I actually prefer it to the comic book, but that could be because I saw the movie first.